Interview with the finalist of the 5-Minute Opera Competition: Margareta Jerić
1. Where and how did you find out about the 5 Minutes Opera Competition?
I found out about the competition through my friend and librettist Trpimir Matasovic when he came for a visit to Montreal.
2. Did you have any previous knowledge about Music Biennale Zagreb?
Yes, I’ve known about the Biennale for years and went as a spectator in 2013.
3. Did you have any previous experience in composing for stage?
I already composed a chamber surrealist-dystopian opera “Les bottes jaunes” in 2011.
4. What kind of challenge was it for you to compose a 5 minute opera?
The biggest challenge was the amount of text that can fit into 5 minutes. For this opera we started with a double amount of text and had to cut it in half by the end.
5. Have you ever been in Croatia and do you plan to come to Zagreb to the premiere of your piece?
I was born in Croatia and try to visit every year. I would definitely come to Zagreb for the premiere of my “flash opera”.