Interview with the finalist of the 5-Minute Opera Competition: Petter Ekman
1. Where and how did you find out about the 5 Minutes Opera Competition?
Searching the Internet for opportunities to write new opera, I stumbled upon MBZ's competition.
2. Did you have any previous knowledge about Music Biennale Zagreb?
I knew it existed, but I knew very little about it.
3. Did you have any previous experience in composing for stage?
Yes, a chamber opera I wrote together with Joel Nordström (who also wrote the libretto for my competition entry) was staged in May 2014. Other than that, a few instrumental pieces exploring the possibilities of the stage.
4. What kind of challenge was it for you to compose a 5 minute opera?
I found it quite rewarding actually. The extremely form demanded an extremely concentrated story, and therefore very focused music, which is what I like to compose anyway. I am very impressed with my librettist's work, managing to get so much story into so little text.
5. Have you ever been in Croatia and do you plan to come to Zagreb to the premiere of your piece?
I think I will come to see the premiere, yes. I've spent one night on the Zagreb train station once while interrailing, but I'm excited to see more.