Interview with the finalist of the 5-Minute Opera Competition: Romain Corbisier
1. Where and how did you find out about the 5 Minutes Opera Competition?
I found out about this competition this summer: I was looking for composition contests and my search led me to this competition. I was immediately interested in it: this kind of competition (for opera) is unusual and this is a genre that inspires me a lot.
2. Did you have any previous knowledge about Music Biennale Zagreb?
No, I didn't. But this competition gives me the opportunity to discover the Music Biennale Zagreb.
3. Did you have any previous experience in composing for stage?
I composed some pieces for stage but they were never performed (due to lack of money...). I have other opera projects planned in the next months, but the piece I composed for this competition is the first one I finished.
4. What kind of challenge was it for you to compose a 5 minute opera?
That was a very big challenge. First, I had to imagine a story that could fit into 5 minutes (believe me, that is difficult!) Then, I had to write the libretto (in French) and you can't write a libretto the same way you write a play; that is completely different. Finally, I had to compose the music. I think that it was the easiest part of my work (honestly), even if I always had to have the duration of my opera in mind; that's why I tried to express my ideas in an efficient way. I really loved that work.
5. Have you ever been in Croatia and do you plan to come to Zagreb to the premiere of your piece?
I have never been to Croatia and I plan to come to the premiere, of course! I am really impatient to be in Zagreb on 21st April!